Note! This article describes a product that wasn’t released yet, so things might have changed from this to the release version! Some of the screenshots are from the release version of the Recovery Media
Note! Some of the images are from a different run than described, so ignore possible inconsistencies.
A prospective customer was having some issues when they were trying out Veeam Endpoint Free (while it was in beta), specifically bare metal recoveries. Not having tried it, I decided to give it a go to see where they might have gone astray. Here are some notes from the road.
Let’s start out with my environment:
- Lenovo Thinkpad T440s running Windows 8.1, 256GB SSD drive
- Veeam Endpoint Backup version 188.8.131.521 (not the release version)
- Backups are running to a server running Veeam 8 with the pre-release Patch 2 which allows Endpoint backups to a Veeam Backup Repository
- Laptop and server are not on the same subnet/VLAN but traffic is allowed between the two
- Target laptop is a Thinkpad R61 (just the empty first machine I saw without an owner in sight :)). Machine has an empty 320 GB spinny disk
- Backup job is set to “Entire Computer”
Nothing exotic regarding the job, it takes everything on the machine except for deleted, temporary and page files, allowing for a complete restore of the computer to a given state.
To enable the bare metal recovery, create the Recovery media when prompted during install. Note that you can also skip this step and create it later, but I suggest doing it now. I chose to make it an ISO file, and then burned that onto a CD. I suppose you could use a USB drive as well, but I didn’t test it. The image in my case was about 480 megabytes in size, and was named VeeamRecoveryMedia_HOSTNAME.iso. When creating the recovery media, I left the default checkbox for hardware drivers checked, and did not add any additional drivers for this exercise.
After the backup was done, booted up the Thinkpad R51 from the recovery cd. The process was fairly straightforward from then on. Also noteworthy is that I didn’t even expect this to work, since I’m restoring to a completely different generation and model series of Thinkpad with completely different hardware. Windows usually throws a hissy fit if you change the direction of the wind, or the moon is at an odd phase, but to my utter amazement, this actually worked. Not sure whether I should thank Veeam or Microsoft Windows 8.1 for this one 🙂
Starting off, this is the first thing you see when you boot from the recovery media:
We can start using different tools (familiar to those that have used Windows PE type disks before), or to start the Bare Metal Recovery Process. Screenshots taken from a restore I did in Virtualbox to avoid potato-quality pictures.
In the second screen, we have to choose where our backup files reside: Either a local storage medium (USB disk, other hard drive etc.) or a network storage location:
I chose network storage, since my backups are located on a Veeam BRS server. After this, we may have to tell it some network settings in order to access the network. You can use either wired or Wireless connection. You can also specify drivers in case you have more exotic hardware that isn’t detected by the boot disk.
After this, we select whether we want to use a network share, or a BRS server:
Give the name or ip of the BRS server, and credentials. On the server side, you can set which credentials have access to which repositories, so make sure these are in order. On the next pages , you can choose the machine and restore point:
So at this point we have chosen what, and when we are going to restore. Now we continue by telling it how we want our disk layout in the backup to look on our target machine (which may have a different sized disk, for instance). Maybe we don’t want or need to restore every partition? I went with Manual restore (advanced) for more fine grained control.
In my example, I want a full working replica of my original machine: hence I will select all OS drives. In my case this means the System Reserved partition that later Windows’ boxes create to store certain boot files, and the C drive. Note the partition sizes. Also note the ‘Customize disk mapping’ link in the lower right hand corner. There, we could configure a different layout than our original. The default is noted in the ‘Restore layout’ column, ‘Automatic’. This will keep the original layout if possible.
We can now see a summary of what we are about to do. We then start the process:
Despite the scary warning (which may or may not be related to this being a beta at the time of my test), the restore process was completed. Note how it updates the BCD (bootcode) so we can boot our newly restored system. It also does some magic with drivers, which might be why it booted on a completely different laptop (T440s vs. R61).
We can now hit finish, remove the boot media when instructed and boot to our restored system. As I mentioned, everything worked, and was exactly as I could have hoped! I will do an update on this article when I’ve had a chance to try the release version (build 184.108.40.2064 available since April 14, 2015, see http://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-endpoint-backup-free-is-here.html)